Re: Bonobo dependencies ...

Hi!

On 01 Dec 2000 12:47:30 -0500, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> >       Ok; here is the vision: we want to create an extensible, powerful,
> > scriptable, object model environment. The creation of large C APIs is not
> > viewed as a constructive step in this direction ( although the current
> > gnome-vfs API is neccessary for Nautilus ). I don't see this direction as
> > politicaly driven, and I happen to fully agree with it. Try suggesting to
> > the guile, perl, python, haskel, tom, etc. etc. guys that they should go
> > and wrap ~300+ new API functions + a load of structures.
>
> Yep.  Please check my newly spiced up HTML web page with other
> examples that we believe can help make the GNOME system more
> consistent:
>
>     http://primates.helixcode.com/~miguel/monikers.html

How feasible would be to write a system: moniker that is a frontend to
several system
services? For example:

service = bonobo_get_object("system:MailTransport",
"IDL:Bonobo/SystemService:1.0");

this system:MailTransport could be a frontend to sendmail/postfix/etc.
And similarly:
* system:InternetServer -> inetd
* system:Config -> /etc/{passwd,group,PAM, etc}
* system:NetworkConfig -> /etc/resolv.conf ....

that way, we'll have an easy access to system services from any language
supporting
Bonobo.

cheers