Re: GNOME messaging

On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, Michael Forrest wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, Elliot Lee also wrote:
>
> > I think the problem is that you are specifying an implementation
> > method (CORBA) and how it should work, instead of doing a proper
> > software engineering process thingie (my apologies for buzzwording :)
>
> Well, Elliot, thank-you for the Software Engineering lesson. When I was
> doing my degree in Computer Science back in the _80s_, we did actually
> touch on this stuff, and, believe it or not, I have actually used
> similar ideas during my last 8 years in the software industry.

<puts on "kick me" sign> sorry for insulting your intelligence

> My original submission did state what my requirement was: to connect
> the command line in an efficient way to other GNOME tools.

OK, and I proposed using scripting languages (which could potentially
include bash - ICK! :) and so far no examples that

> I'm hoping to possibly combine the more tightly coupled direct interface
> mechnism (that you seem to favour) to invoke operations on the
> gnome-terminal, but am still leaning towards the event system ideas
> for distributing command line state changes (eg. current working
> directory). It does seem like an appropriate way of doing it.

The solution I would use to accomplish the same end result is to have an
alias called 'vcd' that looks like:
	alias vcd='cd "`mc --output-final-cwd`"'

Then when you want to change directories using the cool file manager
interface, you type 'vcd' and it pops up a file manager pane and lets you
choose your new directory.

We could also allow dropping files or directories from an already-shown
pane into a gnome-terminal.
-- Elliot
"In film you will find four basic story lines. Man versus man, man
 versus nature, nature versus nature, and dog versus vampire."
    - Steven Spielberg