Re: GNOME messaging

Hi, there!

Elliot Lee wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, Michael Forrest wrote:
>
> > I'm hoping to possibly combine the more tightly coupled direct interface
> > mechnism (that you seem to favour) to invoke operations on the
> > gnome-terminal, but am still leaning towards the event system ideas
> > for distributing command line state changes (eg. current working
> > directory). It does seem like an appropriate way of doing it.
>
> The solution I would use to accomplish the same end result is to have an
> alias called 'vcd' that looks like:
>         alias vcd='cd "`mc --output-final-cwd`"'

Hmmm, dont know if it was the Idea, but I'm thinking about something
like the following:

on the left  : my term window
on the right : my mc window

1)with some kind of DnD from the left to the right, I register term as a
listener to the source of (typed by the target of DnD?) events :
directly mc (or a multicast event source to be defined ?)
2)in mc, I change the directory, and oh! look at the term, it magicly
changed his own current dir.
3)with some kind of 'dont know what' I unregister my term.
4)in mc, I change the directory, and oh! ;) look at the term, it magicly
changed nothing this time.

maybe we can imagine some component that lets know what services are
available (localy and/or remotly), a la CORBA on which I can Drop my
need by a """typed""" DnD from my term, and which launch the event
server if necessary, and make the connection.

Is this feasable or even reasonnable?

Kenavo
Loig