Re: GNOME messaging

On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, Elliot Lee wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, Michael Forrest wrote:
>
> > To respond to Elliot's point about gnome_triggers(): I definitely
> > think transmitting the event over CORBA to some server that can
> > distribute it to interested observers ANYWHERE has a lot of
> > value. Isn't that what the 'N' in GNOME implies? In my
> > experience, distribution is something that can be very hard to
> > retrofit into a system.
>
> The implementation of gnome_triggers can be added onto or changed
> without changing the API. If you come up with an app that actually
> needs CORBA distributed enterprise zero-latency intranet rapid
> application development redundant open multicast push <insert more
> buzzwords here> event channels, then you can implement that as a
> backend to the gnome_triggers API, and not lose any functionality
> compared to

I'm sorry if my vocab is a bit too buzzwordish. I think it is a
by product of having worked as a contractor inside HP for over two years
now!

On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, Elliot Lee also wrote:

> I think the problem is that you are specifying an implementation
> method (CORBA) and how it should work, instead of doing a proper
> software engineering process thingie (my apologies for buzzwording :)

Well, Elliot, thank-you for the Software Engineering lesson. When I was
doing my degree in Computer Science back in the _80s_, we did actually
touch on this stuff, and, believe it or not, I have actually used
similar ideas during my last 8 years in the software industry.

My original submission did state what my requirement was: to connect
the command line in an efficient way to other GNOME tools. The somewhat
general and loosely coupled nature of my proposed solution was probably
the product of what I have seen in the past (notably CDE Tooltalk, Acorn's
RISCos messages, and Apple's event system), and ways in which these
systems could possibly be improved.

I'm hoping to possibly combine the more tightly coupled direct interface
mechnism (that you seem to favour) to invoke operations on the
gnome-terminal, but am still leaning towards the event system ideas
for distributing command line state changes (eg. current working
directory). It does seem like an appropriate way of doing it.

Regards,

Michael
--
Michael Forrest