Re: Gnome messaging

On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, Michael Forrest wrote:

> To respond to Elliot's point about gnome_triggers(): I definitely
> think transmitting the event over CORBA to some server that can
> distribute it to interested observers ANYWHERE has a lot of
> value. Isn't that what the 'N' in GNOME implies? In my
> experience, distribution is something that can be very hard to
> retrofit into a system.

The implementation of gnome_triggers can be added onto or changed without
changing the API. If you come up with an app that actually needs CORBA
distributed enterprise zero-latency intranet rapid application development
redundant open multicast push <insert more buzzwords here> event channels,
then you can implement that as a backend to the gnome_triggers API, and
not lose any functionality compared to

For the applications that just want to play a sound, I think having them
talk directly to esd makes more sense. esd already contains the level of
indirection for configuring what sounds are played when and all that.

I think the problem is that you are specifying an implementation method
(CORBA) and how it should work, instead of doing a proper software
engineering process thingie (my apologies for buzzwording :)
	Requirements analysis
		Find out the big picture as far as how
		a project would enable apps to produce a
		better end result.

		Find some specific, realistic usage examples
		that justify the project and give an idea of
		what data types & operations are needed.
	Interface design
		From the data & operations model generated above,
		write your .idl file up (IDL rules for specifying
		interfaces, even if you're not going to
		use CORBA in the implementation - it's easier to
		read than header files).
	Implementation
		This is the part where you say
		"CORBA makes the most sense as the communications
		medium because ..." and "I want to have event
		aliasing because ...".

Put horse back in front of cart please, ;-)
-- Elliot
"In film you will find four basic story lines. Man versus man, man
 versus nature, nature versus nature, and dog versus vampire."
    - Steven Spielberg