gcm does not detect second monitor

Hi all,

Using a Dell laptop with ubuntu 11.04 and ATI FGLRX display drivers. I have successfully created a profile for the laptop's display, but the second monitor that is attached is not detected by gcm. The "monitor settings" application in ubuntu also shows the second monitor as "unknown". The second monitor is properly recognized in ATI's catalyst control center software. Is this a problem with the proprietary drivers?

Is there a workaround for this problem? I could remove the proprietary drivers and try to create profiles, but then how do I apply them once I re-install the drivers? If I use the open source drivers, the laptop's fan goes at full speed all the time, so I can't really use this driver in the long term.

By blindly following some instructions I found on the web I've managed to create a profile for the second monitor using argyll commands, but I'm not sure how to apply it with gcm.

Any ideas that I could try?

Gys