Re: gcm does not detect second monitor

On 24 June 2011 17:50, Gys van Zyl <gysvanzyl gmail com> wrote:
> Using a Dell laptop with ubuntu 11.04 and ATI FGLRX display drivers. I have
> successfully created a profile for the laptop's display, but the second
> monitor that is attached is not detected by gcm. The "monitor settings"
> application in ubuntu also shows the second monitor as "unknown". The second
> monitor is properly recognized in ATI's catalyst control center software. Is
> this a problem with the proprietary drivers?

Yes, if I remember correctly the ATI proprietary driver doesn't work
with xrandr 1.3 properly, and the non-primary monitor EDIDs don't get
detected properly.

> Is there a workaround for this problem? I could remove the proprietary
> drivers and try to create profiles, but then how do I apply them once I
> re-install the drivers? If I use the open source drivers, the laptop's fan
> goes at full speed all the time, so I can't really use this driver in the
> long term.

I'm not sure there's much of a workaround. You could try profiling
with the free drivers, and then associating the new profile with the
"unknown" monitor with the non-free drivers, but the real fix is the
fix the free drivers power saving unfortunately.

> By blindly following some instructions I found on the web I've managed to
> create a profile for the second monitor using argyll commands, but I'm not
> sure how to apply it with gcm.
> Any ideas that I could try?

You can "import" the manually created profile by clicking on the
unknown device and trying to add a profile.

Richard.