Re: [Openicc] colord 0.1.0 released!

On Jan 17, 2011, at 7:00 AM, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 8:49 AM, edmund ronald <edmundronald gmail com> wrote:
My feeling is that it is very important not only to be able to turn
all CMS off for a printer,

Just to be pedantic, since it's VERY important here, what you really mean is turn off DRIVER color management.  There are no provisions at the CUPS/GutenPrint level to turn off APPLICATION CM _NOR_ to turn off HARDWARE CM...and both of those can (of course) play a part in the whole pipeline....

I think what Edmund really means is a tripartite:

1. OS level color management = off. The lack of a consistent, reliable, off switch, is the present neurological disorder in progress at Apple with Mac OS X, now seven years after they were called out on this b.s. We do not have these problems on other platforms, this is not deniable, and the system they've created is not fail safe, it is fail danger for professionals. It constantly keeps coming up in all the color management problems we see from professionals on the platform. And what's so bizarre about it is that no one else is even really using ICC profiles for printing, 99.9% of the rest of the market uses proprietary driver based color management, not ColorSync. So the fail safe for regular end users they've designed isn't even being used by anyone, and actually bites the professionals who depend on functioning ICC based workflows.

2. Application level color management = off. This should be really simple for any application which is designed to print profile targets.

3. Driver color management = something consistently reproducible, i.e not automated or based on some adaptable algorithmic color enhancement of each printed image. CMS might not be off, because maybe we can't actually turn it off, but can we get a better result with a custom ICC profile on top of sRGB only input for a printer, than simply converting to sRGB and sending the data to the printer? Likely. But not certainly.

Chris Murphy