Re: Adding device profiles

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Richard Hughes <hughsient gmail com> wrote:
> In GCM, you can currently add "virtual" devices which you manually
> populate the fields then assign a profile. This sucks monkey balls.

You forgot hairy :)

> What I really want is to be able to point GCM at a RAW file (or TIFF,
> or PNG, or JPG) and for it to read out the metadata (EXIF data) and
> populate those text fields for me, and then autoselecting a profile if
> you've got one that matches. This allows us to provide the feature on
> the DBus interface too.

Schweet!

> To do this, I either need to depend on exiftool (perl, ick) or
> exifinfo (python, ick) or I can just decode the headers myself like
> I'm already doing for TIFF files.

Well, since Nautilus already depends on libexif12 and libexempi, those
would be the obvious candidates.

That way GCM won't pull in extra dependancies...

> Assuming I do the latter, I really need a raw decoder, and the only
> one that looks sane from a packaging point of view is libopenraw --
> which looks pretty easy to use. I can always make this a conditional
> build-time dep if this is not available in all distros.

Well, I could be mistaken but libopenraw is extremely unfinished and
doesn't support half of the fileformats dcraw does... Again, I haven't
checked it recently so I could be mistaken!

Maybe LibRaw is a workable solution?

Regards,
Pascal de Bruijn