Re: Profile description for laptop displays

2009/11/29 Pascal de Bruijn <pmjdebruijn pcode nl>:
> I noticed you included the product_version as well, at least on my
> laptop it's actually the BIOS revision, I'm not sure what this is on
> other laptops. It's probably not that relevant...

Hmm, it seems the manufacturers were in a rush when they designed your
laptop! The bios version, logically, belongs in bios_version :-)

Could you attach the output of "cat /sys/class/dmi/id/*" and we'll try
and work around bios issues like this. Thanks.

> I noticed you're currently filling the ICC Make with the username, it
> seems rather redundant with the copyright. Besides the point that the
> field wasn't ment to be used like that. I'd stick the EDID info there
> (even with laptops). For the Model field as well, EDID is most likely
> best and most accurate here.

I deliberately changed it, as the vendor is supposed to be the person
or company that designed or created the profile. In this sense, it
seemed wrong to say that the profile was created "by Lenovo" when it
was created by me, for my Lenovo display.

> For example:
>
> Make: SEC (don't lookup in pnp.ids for storage in the ICC profile,
> only lookup in the gcm-prefs GUI).
> Model: 154AT07-H01
>
> Storing the EDID info as verbatim as possible in the ICC make/models
> fields, will make it easier to auto match displays and profiles in the
> future.

Hmm, I think the fields have to be displayable. We need to look at
adding private fields if we want to add any machine parsable data into
the ICC file.

> Storing the EDID verbatim without looking up in pnp.ids prevents false
> data from conflicting lookups (like my Samsung/Seiko issue) from
> ending up in the profile itself.

I think the lookup is valuable as it works most of the time. Your
panel should have encoded SAM into the PNP field, not SEC, unless of
course the panel really is a Seiko panel that's been rebadged as a
Samsung. For what it's worth, my nice expensive LG panel is actually a
generic Goldstar chipset with LG additions and plastic wrapping.
Hence, it shows up as "Goldstar" as the vendor. :-(

Richard.