Re: Profile description for laptop displays

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 10:42 PM, Richard Hughes <hughsient gmail com> wrote:
> 2009/11/29 Pascal de Bruijn <pmjdebruijn pcode nl>:
>> My HP Compaq 6730s laptop has an el'cheapo Samsung panel for it's
>> display.  However, whenever a user wants to assign a profile to his
>> laptop screen, it's not obvious this HP laptop needs a profile with
>> Samsung in it's description. This may confuse people.
>
> Agreed:
>
> commit 70175a9e48ac5a8e0822b6e186bf9e412134a8de
> commit e4683b90160a8fc70c5b5b24cecdf29c674c8c65
>
> Can you verify the new functionality please. Thanks.

That was fast as usual :)

It works mostly... I've attached a screenshot.

I noticed you included the product_version as well, at least on my
laptop it's actually the BIOS revision, I'm not sure what this is on
other laptops. It's probably not that relevant...

I noticed you're currently filling the ICC Make with the username, it
seems rather redundant with the copyright. Besides the point that the
field wasn't ment to be used like that. I'd stick the EDID info there
(even with laptops). For the Model field as well, EDID is most likely
best and most accurate here.

For example:

Make: SEC (don't lookup in pnp.ids for storage in the ICC profile,
only lookup in the gcm-prefs GUI).
Model: 154AT07-H01

Storing the EDID info as verbatim as possible in the ICC make/models
fields, will make it easier to auto match displays and profiles in the
future.

Storing the EDID verbatim without looking up in pnp.ids prevents false
data from conflicting lookups (like my Samsung/Seiko issue) from
ending up in the profile itself.

Regards,
Pascal de Bruijn