HP Printer/Scanner All-in-one not recognized via JetDirect (ethernet)

2009/11/10 Richard Hughes <hughsient gmail com>:
> Correct. How does xsane recognise the scanner? At the moment we're
> just checking USB printers that use hplip and scanners that are
> matched with libsane. If you can work out how to identify the device
> using a property in udev, then it's an easy add. I'm not sure how the
> ethernet printing and scanning stuff actually works right now. Thanks.

I don't know how deep you know the details about the network support
of hplip, but here's what I know, as an introduction: The printer and
the scanner is identified by an URI
"hp:/net/Photosmart_C6200_series?ip=192.168.0.2" (fax has hpfax:/
instead of hp:/) in cups and sane
("Photosmart_C6200_series:Photosmart_C6200_series?ip=192.168.0.2")
using the hplip driver, and treated as an local device. Normal network
printers have URIs like "socket://printer:9100". It's detectable using
Zeroconf (dnssd://photosmart c6200 series
[d44b9e]._pdl-datastream._tcp.local/) and UPnP, cause HP supports Mac
and Windows. Actually automatic detection of hp photosmart all-in-one
devices in system-config-printer-gnome is broken, but automatic
detection works using gnome-cups-manager und sane.