help : get started

Hi i am girish, this is my first experience linux / gnome community. I know C/C++, Java, HTML, CSS, JQuery, MySQL and a bit about PHP. I am also having some experience with UI design. I am currently working on my friend's company - Antonal. I am interested in participating with gnome development. I chooses gcalc because i think gcalc is the right place to get started. [ Story of computing started with simple maths right ? ]
.
.
.
.
So, let me get to the point, i am really tired of reading web pages saying " How to get stared ? ".

Please tell me what i actually need to do, to get started with development ?

regards,
Girish S