Re: help : get started

Hi Girish,

Hi i am girish, this is my first experience linux / gnome community. I know C/C++, Java, HTML, CSS, JQuery, MySQL and a bit about PHP. I am also having some experience with UI design. I am currently working on my friend's company - Antonal. I am interested in participating with gnome development.

Great.. I assume you have some prior knowledge of "git", and you're familiar with terms like "repository", "branch", "clone" etc. (In case you're not familiar with them, I would refer you to the wiki page of "git" and "version control systems" in general. Also refer to some tutorial of "git" on internet.) You'll need it to understand how to submit a patch.

The first step in getting started is, to be able to compile the source-code of gnome-calculator.
Once you can compile the code, you should take a look at the source code, which is written in Vala (quite similar to Java, which you already know). Just a bird-eye overview is enough for starters.

After this, as suggested, you can just look for a bug in bugzilla, and try to fix it.

Hope this helps.. :)

--
Arth Patel (PioneerAxon)