Re: Opting out of bugsquad for my modules

On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 14:39 -0500, Diego Escalante Urrelo wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On 1/2/08, Bruno Boaventura <brunoboaventura gmail com> wrote:
> > On Jan 1, 2008 6:14 PM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org> wrote:
> > > I would like to ask no bugsquad work done on my modules:
> > >
> > >   gnome-terminal
> > >   vte
> > >   pango
> > >   gucharmap
> > >
> > > Specifically, I don't want NEEDINFO bugs automatically closed INCOMPLETE
> > > after a month, or two, or six FWIW.  I have asked this before on IRC,
> > > but every once in a while a new bugsquader shows up and closes tens of
> > > bugs in gnome-terminal.
> >
> > Sorry, Behdad. I think I did it sometimes too, when I was starting.
> > Maybe can we have something more specifically about this on
> > http://live.gnome.org/Bugsquad/TriageGuide? BTW, I recommend new
> > triagers do not close any bug as INCOMPLETE when it have a stacktrace
> > and (comments > 1).
> >
> > Bugsquaders: Ideas?
> >

> Usually I close as INCOMPLETE when the reporter is a random email
> address with 0 points and comment-less. I also check if the trace can
> be read or if it's just a ton of ?? that doesn't even let you guess
> what's the real crash.

Sure, a bunch of ??'s are definitely an INCOMPLETE right away.  My main
issue is with automatic closing of NEEDINFO to INCOMPLETE.  We all know
that in 99% of the cases the reporter is not going to provide that
requested info, either because they don't get the mail at all (I've
reported a few crashes myself and never got any followup), or because
they cannot reproduce the crash, or because they have no idea whatsoever
what's happening.  They just clicked on a button to shut the dialog
up...

If we keep closing those not-so-useful-but-not-useless traces as
INCOMPLETE, what we've essentially done is pumping up the total number
of bugs reported, so we can brag about having half million bugs while
KDE has only 150000, with all those extra bugs adding nothing to the
quality of our software.

What I want to see is:

  - No bug with dups closed INCOMPLETE
  - No bug with comments closed INCOMPLETE
  - When a Simple dup search shows a trace is a dup of an INCOMPLETE
bug, the INCOMPLETE is REOPENED and the dup added

That way, I can feel confident that a real but infrequent crasher in my
software doesn't go unnoticed just because all the reports were closed
INCOMPLETE.

Thanks all.  Thanks.

--
behdad