Re: Fwd: Request for beta testers: Bugzilla and Trac plugins

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 9:19 AM, Olav Vitters <olav bkor dhs org> wrote:
I forgot the details of the GUADEC. In general:
* I don't like pushing bugreports as-is upstream. Filing a good
 bugreport takes work. You need to include only the relevant
 information. If that isn't done, then the amount of time it takes
 stays the same, except that it is now with the developer. That is
 really bad.

Well, the current process doesn't prevent that either. I see plenty of bugs that start with "Reported downstream (LaunchpadURL):" and then the original report was just pasted.

I agree that the process should involve some care, but IMO if we reduce the time it takes to get the bug into Bugzilla, we'll find that triagers would be more willing to prune or summarize a bug report.

* Pushing comments back and forth automatically: I fear the same could
 happen. E.g. the 'why isn't this fixed'?

As far as I know, such comments wouldn't be automated. You'd get the "Where's my update?" type comments, but even any valid downstream comments (discussing patches or any post-upstream-fix comments) would be irrelevant.

Regarding Bugzilla 3:
* lack of time
* want to push some things upstream that upstream doesn't want upstream
 (attachment statuses)

Gotcha. That's unfortunate; would anyone else be able to help, at least with the time issue?

> Working both with Ubuntu's Launchpad and GNOME's Bugzilla, I can say that
> the current processes to relate bugs, to push them upstream, and just to
> manage them are quite tedious.

What do you mean exactly? Which parts?

Simply getting all the already-gathered information upstream: resetting all the fields and all the stuff that could be automated. I often think that when filing an upstream bug: "Sheesh, this was all already gathered downstream; at least some of this could just automatically be added."

It'd be more convenient if the original description (usually accurate, at least as far as steps to reproduce or stacktraces as appropriate) were copied upstream, if only to provide something to clean up (rather than starting from scratch).

Cheers,
Andrew