Re: clearer bugzilla stock responses. shorter ways.

--- Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 20:58 +0200, Andre Klapper
> wrote:
> [snip]
> > perhaps combining it to something like this?:
> > 'However, you are using an old version, which
> Gnome developers are no
> > longer working on, so unfortunately there will not
> be any bug fixes
> > for
> > the version that you use.'
> [snip]
>
> That's just giving the user bad news and letting him
> think he's stuck
> with it. Maybe we could add something like:
> "By upgrading to a newer version of GNOME you could
> receive bugfixes and
> new functionality. You may need to upgrade your
> Linux distribution to
> obtain a newer version of GNOME."
>
> Also, I'd prefer to change
> "However, you are using an old version"
> "However, you are using a version that is too old"
> or similar,
> so we don't encourage people (journalists) to say
> "Look, as soon as
> they've shipped it, they stop supporting it. This
> why open source yadda
> yadda yadda wrong."

Is there a standard policy, at least across the gnome
desktop components, of when to stop maintaining?
The wording I suggested would be easier if we could
say:
"To make best use of limited developer time, versions
more than x years old are not supported." -- and then
the text you suggest about upgrading.