Re: clearer bugzilla stock responses. shorter ways.

On Thu, 2006-10-12 at 09:44 +0100, Joachim Noreiko wrote:
> --- Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:
> > Also, I'd prefer to change
> > "However, you are using an old version"
> > "However, you are using a version that is too old"
> > or similar,
> > so we don't encourage people (journalists) to say
> > "Look, as soon as
> > they've shipped it, they stop supporting it. This
> > why open source yadda
> > yadda yadda wrong."
>
> Is there a standard policy, at least across the gnome
> desktop components, of when to stop maintaining?
> The wording I suggested would be easier if we could
> say:
> "To make best use of limited developer time, versions
> more than x years old are not supported." -- and then
> the text you suggest about upgrading.

Sorry for nitpicking, but I'd avoid "limited developer time". It
confirms some people's wrong belief that open source depends only on
unpaid volunteer developers working in their spare time.

You don't need to justify the fact that you don't support very old
products. That's normal. Of course, if there was a big demand to support
the old products, someone would do it, for the profit.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com