Re: default user policy [was Re: Moving Evolution bugs to gnome]

CC list seems a bit long, so I trimmed off everybody except bugmaster
and bugsquad.

On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 14:23 -0500, Luis Villa wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 23:49 +0100, Olav Vitters wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 03:58:21PM -0600, Gerardo Marin wrote:
> > >
> > > Things to do before or during the import:
> > >
> > > 1. Import users who do not have an account on b.g.o (reported_by,
> > > changed_by and owner fields). This may require some scripting since
> > > there are users who have an account on both bugzillae so it needs cross
> > > referencing on users.
> >
> > Adding to above: New users on bugzilla.ximian.com seem to have the
> > editbugs and canconfirm permissions by default. When importing this to
> > b.g.o this should be limited.
> > Suggest: No permissions except when email address ends with @ximian.com
> > or @novell.com.
>
> Actually, I'd strongly prefer we change the GNOME default to be more
> open. At peak, bugzilla.ximian had just as much traffic as
> bugzilla.gnome, and there were many more ximian trolls than gnome
> trolls, and I still had to deal with only one case of
> aggressive/borderline 'malicious' mistriage. And it saved lots of
> trouble of 'oh, you want permissions?', and helped encourage new
> contributors. I think we should default to trusting and only remove
> permissions when necessary.

I certainly agree that any account imported from Ximian should preserve
permissions in the move.

I am slightly more hesitant about turning on canconfirm by default, as I
think that it would eliminate the usefulness of the 'unconfirmed'
status.  Can we change things so that you can't confirm your own bugs,
or somesuch?
	Greg
--
Gregory Leblanc <gleblanc linuxweasel com>