Re: Moving Evolution bugs to gnome.

On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 16:29 -0500, Luis Villa wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-12-23 at 12:15 -0600, Gerardo Marin wrote:
> > Hello guys,
> >
> > I've sent a few mails about migrating Evolution bugs to gnome bugzilla,
> > being the latest http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-bugsquad/2004-
> > November/msg00016.html
> > We really want to have this accomplished in the best way for GNOME, so
> > we need your feedback on GNOME needs for migration. Please let us know
> > any requirements for the export/import process and the best date for
> > doing it as well as any other activity on our side to make this happen.
> > Hope to hear from you soon.
>
> Hey, guys; sorry that this has taken so long to reply to. I agree that
> for the good of all involved it is best that this happen ASAP.
>
> David Hoover (cc'd) worked out a script to move a ximian bugzilla mysql
> dump into bugzilla.gnome a few months ago, but I was totally swamped and
> let the work fall through. I suck like that :/ David, are you still
> alive and willing to forgive me for my thoughtless abandonment? :)
>
> Answers to some of the originally posed questions:
> * when is this move preferable? a: probably first weeknight after we get
> the script ready, I'd guess, or maybe weekend? We can just shut down
> bugzilla's web interface (easy) for a few hours, dump in the new bugs,
> test the DB's integrity a bit, and then bring things back up to test
> some more.

I agree on any weekend. Bug traffic is a lot lower.

> * preferred export format: we don't really have any pre-existing import
> tool. I'd guess SQL insert statements would be ideal, assuming we can
> get the field mapping to be correct.

Export is pretty trivial when using later MySQL versions, since it has
subqueries and joins.

> * bug-buddy can be pretty transparent- we just add evolution to the
> gnome bug-buddy XML and remove it from b.x.c. Ditto the rest- those are
> trivial, it's just the input that is hard.
>
> You mention you've got export capabilities at this point; how far can
> that get us?

1. Filtering Ximian-employee only bugs (the daily backup dump contains
everything).
2. Joining Connector as an Evolution component.
3. Bug renumbering at the table level (every bug_id).
4. Attachment renumbering.

Things to do before or during the import:

1. Import users who do not have an account on b.g.o (reported_by,
changed_by and owner fields). This may require some scripting since
there are users who have an account on both bugzillae so it needs cross
referencing on users.
2. Change the longdescs with the new numbering since there are cross
references both as a duplicate or likely reports in a textual manner.