default user policy [was Re: Moving Evolution bugs to gnome]

On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 23:49 +0100, Olav Vitters wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 03:58:21PM -0600, Gerardo Marin wrote:
> >
> > Things to do before or during the import:
> >
> > 1. Import users who do not have an account on b.g.o (reported_by,
> > changed_by and owner fields). This may require some scripting since
> > there are users who have an account on both bugzillae so it needs cross
> > referencing on users.
>
> Adding to above: New users on bugzilla.ximian.com seem to have the
> editbugs and canconfirm permissions by default. When importing this to
> b.g.o this should be limited.
> Suggest: No permissions except when email address ends with @ximian.com
> or @novell.com.

Actually, I'd strongly prefer we change the GNOME default to be more
open. At peak, bugzilla.ximian had just as much traffic as
bugzilla.gnome, and there were many more ximian trolls than gnome
trolls, and I still had to deal with only one case of
aggressive/borderline 'malicious' mistriage. And it saved lots of
trouble of 'oh, you want permissions?', and helped encourage new
contributors. I think we should default to trusting and only remove
permissions when necessary.