Re: Bugzilla keywords [and bug day]

On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 19:26, Dave Fallon wrote:

> Sniff... no more louie.
>
> Anyways, some discussion on the post-louie bug era. In particular, it seems to be necessary
(and good) to have someone who goes "this is important for a release, and worth not punting",
and being able to enforce that. This requires two things: someone with a crapload of free time,
 and the ability to (by hook or crook) get developers to fix bugs they otherwise wouldn't. Has
there been a decision on who this person will be yet? And if so, what can we do to help the
second part of the requirements? The reason I think it's an issue is because all the breakup of
 bugs we do between versions becomes pretty irrelevant if we just fix a random subset of bugs
each release. Louie's deep connections with the community (and employment at a company where he
can walk over and poke developers) has helped that a lot, and I fear whoever steps in his shoes
will face some challenges getting to the same level of acceptance. Or am I totally off base?

It'll be hard to find people who are as good as Louie at being a total
prick about this stuff. :-)

I would expect that without a full-time Louie-like person, it may well
devolve to a team, with individuals responsible for each package. I'll
analogize to the docs team, which has[1] one person assigned the herding
responsibility for each package. In the bug-squad case, that person
would work with the maintainer's blessing in trying to make those
decisions, then help communicate uphill toward the release team about
the status. Would it be reasonable post-Louie to formalize some sort of
system along these lines?

Cheers,
John

[1] "tries to have"
--
John Fleck
http://www.inkstain.net http://www.abqjournal.com

"Sometimes, a diner is all about the mac and cheese."
  - Zippy the Pinhead