gnome-boxes-3.16.2 does not echo/execute console commands

Using gnome-boxes-3.16.2 with qemu-2.4.1

If I start an iso that boots to the console command prompt, boxes does not
echo/execute any commands entered.

If I enter a command (blind) and then use the "<" button at the top left of
the boxes window to go to the thumbnail vm screen, select the same vm and go
back to it, then the console command has been echoed and executed.

If I enter "startx" in the console screen and switch to the thumbnail view
and back again to get a gui, then commands and mouse clicks work as
expected.

Any idea as to why console commands are not echoed/executed?

Regards
John