RE: gnome-boxes-3.16.2 - "Libvirt KVM guest available: no"

Hmm - thanks for the help so far BTW :)

Considerable use of google has not turned up much - Is there a
virsh command that creates the guest qemu entries?

..or is libvirt supposed to pick this up for itself?

It's going to pick that up by itself, going to look for qemu binaries
in well-known location, and query their capabilities (or something like that).

They're all there:

/usr/local/bin/qemu-system-i386
/usr/local/bin/qemu-system-x86_64

Well you have made the classic mistake of configuring with the default
/usr/local prefix. I'd guess your problem is that libvirt doesn't check in
/usr/local for qemu binaries and hence never finds them.

No, I deliberately set "--prefix=/usr/local" because for this distro (tinycorelinux) all non-base software
goes in /usr/local.

The libvirt configure script automatically assumes qemu is present, but the configure script finds
/usr/local/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 anyway.

There appear to have been two problems:

1. The configure script didn't find /usr/local/lib/qemu/qemu-bridge-helper

2. libvirt uses libyajl to query qemu capabilities and it was not present

After fixing this, "virsh capabilities" shows guest details and boxes runs :)

Unfortunately boxes does not display input/process input until I click on the "<" button, and choose the same
vm window :(

..but that's probably the subject of another thread

Thanks again for the help.

John