Re: gnome-boxes-3.16.2 - "Libvirt KVM guest available: no"

Hey,

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 10:29:30PM +0400, John Frankish wrote:
Is libvirtd running as root?
You could also try running 'virsh -c qemu:///session list --all'
as a regular user before starting Boxes as there are known issue
with some libvirt versions with automatic startup of the user
libvirtd.

libvirtd isn't running at all - shouldn't gnome-boxes start it
(and create a gnome-boxes pool) via dbus?

user (session) libvirtd is going to be started automatically when
needed, which is what seems to not work on your setup.

How is it going to be started (by what)?

libvirt.so (which boxes uses) has some code to start libvirtd if needed.

OK, but in my case that doesn't happen, although I guess boxes would not be
able to start the daemon as root.

Yes, but Boxes seems to be dealing just fine with the system daemon not
running (?). This is probably an issue with your installation or your
distribution if the system libvirt daemon is not running when it should.

(gnome-boxes:28538): Libvirt.GLib-DEBUG: Error: internal error: client
socket is closed
(gnome-boxes:28538): Boxes-WARNING **: wizard.vala:463: Unable to get
storage pool info: internal error: client socket is closed

And here something goes wrong, not sure why though...
I assume "virsh -c qemu:///session pool-list" is  working fine?
Or maybe it's just a red herring and trying to create a VM would work?

Starting libvirtd as root does not create a libvirt-sock-ro owned by $USER

I don't think this needs to be owned by user, just accessible by $USER.
But Boxes seems to be coping just fine with that.

$ sudo libvirtd -d
$ ls -l /var/run/libvirt
srwx------    1 root     root             0 Mar 31 21:55 libvirt-sock
srwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Mar 31 21:55 libvirt-sock-ro
If I change the libvirt-sock-ro owner to $USER and..
$ mkdir -p /home/tc/.local/libvirt/images
$ virsh pool-define-as gnome-boxes dir - - - -
/home/tc/.local/libvirt/images

Maybe you need to start the pool as well, virsh pool-start gnome-boxes

Christophe