Re: To save or not to save

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 8:16 PM, Marc-André Lureau
<marcandre lureau gmail com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 7:09 PM, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) <zeeshanak gnome org>
> wrote:
>>
>> I don't know why that would work any differently cause guest will also
>> then move all its RAM to storage so if most of the RAM was swapped
>> out, in the end its the same thing, no?
>

> If all guest memory is in RAM, what can we do? It needs to be freed or
> saved... No idea how qemu decide how much and which memory needs to be
> saved. We probably need to study in more details what happens during
> migration/saving... I am not sure the guest memory is all swapped out for
> instance.

I can't be sure about other hosts either but I have made sure thats
the case on my host at least. Could you check on yours? It makes
perfect sense actually for RAM to be swapped out if its half the size
of your host RAM and not in active usage by guest apps.

>Sometime it would be nice to have qemu experts on the ML :)

True. :)

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)