Re: Now that I've built gnome-boxes with jhbuild...

Hi Lucas,

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 4:03 PM, Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues <lmr redhat com> wrote:
> Ok, so after a bit of thinkering I've got a successful build of gnome boxes.

  Cool!

> Some things that are worth mentioning:
>
> 1) I'm trying to figure out how to sanely run the development gnome-boxes on
> my Fedora 16 laptop, what I've got so far:
>  * Append the jhbuild library dir to LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>  * Run gnome boxes. It is not picking the adwaita dark theme like I thought
> it would. Ok, that is minor.
>  * Would someone like to share how to prepare a sane environment to
> build/test the application?

  jhbuild provides you the environment. You can either start a jhbuild
shell by `jhbuild shell` or run a particular app in its env by
`jhbuild run command`. jhbuild takes care of the env for you
(including LD_LIBRARY_PATH). Also for the themes to work, you might
want to do `jhbuild build gnome-themes-standard`.

> 2) I know virt-manager does ask me for the admin password, so I would assume
> you will need some sort of root-like access for gnome boxes as well. In any
> case, I'm figuring out how the jhbuild libvirt version would coexist with my
> system wide one, even considering there's the libvirt daemon to care about.

  virt-manager connects to the system libvirt while Boxes is designed
to use session (non-root) libvirt.

> 3) I still quite did not figure out how to print the debug messages to
> stdout/err, even though I did try grepping for DEBUG/debug on the source
> code and did some reading.

  You need to set G_MESSAGES_DEBUG env variable. For details:
http://blogs.gnome.org/mclasen/2011/11/09/better-logging/

> 4) Right now I see this problem, which I really suspect to be due to the
> fact that libvirt daemon for the libvirt version installed by jhbuild is not
> started/lack of permissions, but I can't see further what is going on:
>
> Boxes-WARNING **: libvirt-machine.vala:58: Unable to start domain: internal
> error Process exited while reading console log output:

  No, i think thats because of the fact that you are not running
inside jhbuild env. Hope this helps.

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)