Re: About usage of floppy with linux guests on gnome-boxes

On 12/02/2011 11:09 AM, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:
On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues<lmr redhat com>  wrote:
Fortunately, I know what this might be, since the first windows guest I've
tried my initial unattended install code is windows XP 2 years ago and I've
hit this issue.

   Oh, fortunate we are indeed. :)

What most likely is going on here is a slight mismatch on the floppy image
size used to hold the unattended install file. If I recall correctly, I was
trying to provide 1.44 M to dd at the time to create the floppy.

   Oh, I would never have guessed the floppy size would be the issue
but rather the unattended file itself.

[lmr@freedom data]$ file floppy.img
floppy.img: x86 boot sector, mkdosfs boot message display, code offset 0x3c,
OEM-ID " mkdosfs", sectors/cluster 4, root entries 512, sectors 4096
(volumes<=32 MB) , Media descriptor 0xf8, sectors/FAT 3, heads 64, serial
number 0x46d6dab4, label: "           ", FAT (12 bit)
[lmr@freedom data]$ du -sh floppy.img
20K     floppy.img

This certainly doesn't look like a well formed floppy,

   Yikes, I'll try creating the floppy image using the method you proposed then.

XP standards. I see that you copy the unattended file using mcopy

        debug ("Copying unattended file '%s' into floppy drive/image '%s'",
unattended_dest_name, floppy_path);
        // FIXME: Perhaps we should use libarchive for this?
        string[] argv = { "mcopy", "-i", floppy_path,
                                   unattended_tmp_path,
                                   "::" + unattended_dest_name };
        yield exec (argv, cancellable);

So, although this seems fine at a first look, it's not good enough for WinXP
standards :)

   I don't think mcopy does anything different than what you are doing.
I'll try first to fix the size of template/empty image first.
Hopefully that helps.

Yes, I was thinking about it and yeah, shouldn't make a difference. I could send a patch, but then it'd be a huge binary blob, so it wouldn't help. You fix the floppy and I believe the issue should be resolved.

Perhaps you guys are open to a more traditional approach like
the one we use on our unattended code?

   The issue with mounting is permissions. Boxes need to run
unprivileged and you need to be root to mount.

Yes, nevermind. As we are a test framework we do need root privileges to do a lot more stuff, so most of our code runs as root anyway. Please spare me from the rotten eggs :)