Re: About usage of floppy with linux guests on gnome-boxes

On 12/01/2011 09:50 PM, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:

   The first prototype code I wrote indeed created unattended CD-ROM
ISO but that method took quite some time and added also a lot to our
disk-usage. On further research and discussions with some relevant
developers, I found out that floppy method works for all OSs and
therefore implemented it. About floppy support being broken on Linux,
I was hoping to start using USB for Linux. Creating CD-ROM ISO is just
way too slow.

Well, we did not see any noticeable difference among isos and floppies, since the ISO is going to hold most of the time a single unattended file, it's a tiny tiny iso :)

Maybe approach you took was to re-generate the entire install iso file, which is certainly a disaster in terms of time spent, in our framework we just create a cdrom that holds the unattended file, so the time used to create it is negligible.

So I'd like to implement unattended cdrom creation for gnome boxes,

   I'm sorry but I'll only want to go that route as the last resort
because of time and space concerns I mentioned above. How about you
try that USB method first?

Fair enough, but my comment about the small isos holds true as far as I can see. As soon as I can get boxes built and I can get my first patches going I'll try USB first...

but I'm
still making my way on vala *and* how to build it, so I can test my changes.
I assume jhbuild is my best bet, or is there a shortcut that I can use (ie,
installing packages foo, bar, baz and then I can build it)?

   At the moment, jhbuild is really your best bet. Best of luck!

OK, let's get this thing built then...

Lucas