Re: GNOME.conf.au 2007 (call for volunteers/papers)

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 03:57:59PM +1200, Glynn Foster wrote:

> > This year we're hoping to hold a two day event (one developer day,
> > one user day), but to do this I NEED YOUR HELP.
>
> You reckon we have enough mojo for a 2 day event? While I'm not really opposed
> to it, I do think that we do have a chance of making less impact if we have a
> mediocre two days, rather than a heavily rocking one day.

I don't know. I think it was Jeff who said we should go for a two
day event. If we can pull it off, I'm all for it, but I'd much
rather have one fantastic day, than two boring days.

> > Additionally, we can't have a GNOME.conf.au without presentations of
> > some kind. GNOME.conf.au is a relaxed and informal setting, so if
> > anyone wants to gain some presentation experience, GNOME.conf.au is
> > the place to get it. I'm going to send out a more informative call
> > for papers at some point in the near future, but I wanted to get the
> > ball rolling here first.
>
> What do we want to achieve? Where does GNOME.conf.au stand amongst other
> calendar events like GUADEC, or the Boston Summit? Where does GNOME.conf.au
> stand in Linux.conf.au - are we just another miniconf? or is there some greater
> destiny?

Personally, I would very much like to get GNOME.conf.au as an event
on the GNOME calendar. Certainly not a GUADEC, but possibly
something with some attraction. The problem as I see it with this
plan is that travel to and within Australia is noticably more pricey
than on other continents.

I very much want to hear ideas from all sides about how we should
structure things. My primary goal is to make the event rock, and
leave people enthused about using GNOME and hopefully about
contributing to GNOME.

--d

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA