Re: New to List

On 05/29/2015 11:50 AM, Patrick Welche wrote:
On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 09:06:26AM -0400, Eric Johansson wrote:
the only really useful speech recognition environment right now
is nuances naturally speaking followed closely by Microsoft.
obviously the main problem is they only run on Windows.
Just wondering whether instead of going down the speech recognition
route, you might try a head/gaze tracker or other pointing device or
switch and dasher (git.gnome.org/dasher)?

I've tried dasher and I no longer have enough fine motor control to work with it. haven't tried head/gaze trackers. they do not solve the writing problem. since it is only my hands that are toast (rsi) anything other than speech is too slow/awkward. also, having built interesting speech UI's I no longer have any patience for most GUI's. I really like a wide and shallow UI, not the deep and narrow GUI. make me long for api's to the application functionality that bypasses the GUI.