Re: GNOME High Contrast Icon Theme

Sorry about the time bomb! I was thinking something similar to what Joanie ultimately suggests - that it might be better to have different "types" of clocks. This type of solution is used in Gnome Icon Themes for security states (low security is a wooden shield, medium a plain metal shield, etc.) However, I was thinking like a fully sighted person drawing in black and white.

The scale issue is the main problem that I am having when I use the approach shown in figures 5-7. Adding an indicator of state, etc. is the best solution in terms of providing the user with the full meaning of the icon. However, because of size limitations, it is difficult to produce an icon which is easily "read", even by me. However, the all of the feedback I am getting is very helpful. Having a better understanding of how users see is definitely key to finding a good solution.

Meg

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Jeremy Bicha <jeremy bicha net> wrote:
On 5 July 2011 16:08, Joanmarie Diggs <joanied gnome org> wrote:
> Figure 3 is a *perfect* example of the sorts of problems I have with our
> "traditional" high-contrast stuff, and why I personally prefer keeping
> some color: What is the horizontal white stripe that extends on either
> side of the clock face? Is it a watch band which runs on top of three
> black vertical pieces, or is it background/empty space separating the
> three top black pieces from the bottom three? I genuinely don't know.
> Figure-ground and me, we've never gotten along well.... <shrugs and
> smiles>

Joanie, I saw figure 3 as a time bomb and the white band is simply a
rubber band or something to keep the clock attached to the dynamite.

Jeremy Bicha