Re: GNOME High Contrast Icon Theme

Hi Meg.

Thanks so much for sharing these!

Figure 3 is a *perfect* example of the sorts of problems I have with our
"traditional" high-contrast stuff, and why I personally prefer keeping
some color: What is the horizontal white stripe that extends on either
side of the clock face? Is it a watch band which runs on top of three
black vertical pieces, or is it background/empty space separating the
three top black pieces from the bottom three? I genuinely don't know.
Figure-ground and me, we've never gotten along well.... <shrugs and
smiles>

Regarding the bottom images, I will echo what Peter said in his
response, namely I think it would be preferable to keep the foreground
objects as drawn in figure 5, but adding color as shown in Figures 6 and
7. Though for figure 6, I'd reverse the yellow and red. The light yellow
blends into white background.

The other thing I'm wondering, is: If these are notification-sized
icons, they are going to be considerably smaller than your samples.
Adding the color to the stars makes them easier to see and process
(imho) than the purely-black-and-white version. However, if the icon is
that small, you really have to be looking in order to notice the star in
the first place. So I'm wondering if there's some sort of balance
between your first row of figures and your second, one which preserves
all the neat aspects of each.

<thinking outloud>

What if, for an appointment, you took the clock from figure 4 and:

* Altered the image just enough so that it was clearly an alarm clock
  (using that shape change instead of the star)

* Altered the colors so that they preserve the contrast while at the
  same being noticeably different for users with color vision (e.g.
  clock circle and hands navy; clock face yellow)

Mind you, I'm not saying that is what you should do. It's merely a
thought for your consideration.

Take care, and thanks again for your interest and work on this!
--joanie