Formatting a Flash Drive

Hi Folks,

I am very seriously needing to reformat a Kingston flash-drive. I
am running the Debian system with Orca. I could not find any disk
utility in the systems tools menu that would permit me to do this.
Might this be something that I need to "apt-get install?

I use the flash drive in order to read digital talking books on an
NLS player. The flash drive fits into a USB port on the side of the
player. I have done a great deal of back and forth file movement,
and as you know, linux loves to create and cram waist baskets. When
ever I attempted to empty the waist basket, I received an error
message to the effect that the content of the folder couldn't be
deleted, because it was resident on a "read only media." Moreover,
the folder its self couldn't be deleted for the same reason.

Now how in the world could something like that happen in the first
place? The drive had no software, none that I could find at any
rate; had there been any files, they were attrib-hidden. I have
never encountered a situation wherein one is unable to empty an
electronic trash-can. I can not understand for the life of me how
the flash drive all of a sudden became a "read only" media, let
alone how to remedy the matter.

Needless to say, I am at the end of my wits which were pretty
feeble to begin with. I could really use some input here. Thanks so
much in advance.

Ray

Feel free to visit my website and my blog and learn more about me
and what I stand for.
My Website @ http://riverwind.shellworld.net
My Blog http://windraven13.livejournal.com/