Re: Frist Impressions of GNOME 3's Zoom Feature

Robert Cole <rkcole72984 gmail com> wrote:

> When I open up the Activities Overview (I am trying to get the
> proper terms for different elements down :) ) and click on the
> Applications tab, the magnifier gets very jumpy. It does not stop
> functioning,but it has a big lag when panning, and I am somewhat
> certain that this is probably due to the big number of application
> icons which are presented. When I select a category, such as
> Internet, the magnifier pans smoothly again.

This is far from any area in which I have expertise, but I'm wondering whether
it might be attributable to the combination of video card and driver involved.
You could perhaps compare this performance with what you experience on a
different machine (with a different video card).

Gnome 3.x demands more of the video hardware than Gnome 2.x - apparently, 3d
acceleration is preferred, though not strictly required as of the latest
version, according to an article that I read a few weeks ago.