Re: Accessibility Hackfest - Further Planning

Hey Eitan,

Thanks for organizing this!  I'm really looking forward to getting some
good hacking time (and getting some sun, too) when we're all in San
Diego.

> Hackfest
> --------------
> * Let's start dog fooding 3.0 in person, iron out kinks and populate
> bugzilla. I know for myself, Accerciser needs a ton of work for
> at-spi2. It would be cool if we could have maybe a 2 hour session
> where in the first hour we all try out this stuff at once an file all
> the issues we run into, in the second hour triage all of it. Maybe
> Mike Gorse could lead this bit?
> * Let's do a similar session with Webkit. Maybe Joanie could guide us
> through this. The focus would be areas where Joanie and the Orca team
> have not worked already.
>  * Would this be useful with GNOME-Shell? It seems like the issues are
> known, I don't know if this would be a wise use of our time.
>  * What else? How could we use the little amount of time we have in person?

I'd love to run a quick session on what the Mono Accessibility team has
been working on.

> Showroom
> ----------------
> * We will be demonstrating GNOME to the industry and to users. As far
> as I know, we are the only ones offering a completely free, open and
> accessible personal computing platform, this is huge, and this is why
> we are going to CSUN. In better times Sun would be there too
> showcasing GNOME, but not this year.

For our booth, have we reserved the GNOME events box?  I can see if I
can scrounge up some openSUSE disks that we could hand out.

> * From my experience in this conference, talk is cheap and many
> organizations say generous things, I want us to be able to follow
> through with this. While it might be wishful thinking on my end, I
> think we need to be prepared for two things:
>    1. Some foundation or company that uses GNOME and wants to improve
> a11y for it's own use, or it's own sake. I want us to be able to
> follow through with this and offer them CVs of dedicated GNOME a11y
> hackers. We could play a part in getting the next grantee, contractor,
> full-time a11y hackers employed.
>    2. Organizations that use GNOME already and depend on it need to
> understand that they should get involved, and should join the GNOME
> advisory board. When we hear of such orgs, we need to get them in
> touch with Stormy. It would be good both for foundation funding and
> for a11y interests on the AD board.
>  * Ben won't be able to do braille handouts, we should find an alternative.
>
> Conference
> We have four complimentary conference passes. I already know that
> Bryen and Mike showed interest in attending the conference.

I'm interested also, but only if I'm not taking the spot of someone who
could get more use out of it.

Best,

-Brad