Meeting Summary for January 13, 2009

So, last night, or this morning depending on where you are, we had our
first meeting of 2009-It's-So-Fine.  We were blessed to have the
presence of Stormy Peters, GNOME Foundation Executive Director, to
introduce our topic of the meeting.

The GNOME Foundation has been offered two full-time paid interns for the
summer from the Humanitarian FOSS Project (http://hfoss.org).  In
Stormy's great wisdom, she engaged our team for open discussion about
how we can best use this opportunity.

The project requires mentorship on whatever projects we choose to
designate for the program.  We were in large agreement that Flavio's
(FlaPer87) MouseTrap would make an excellent project and Flavio has
agreed to mentor the student(s) on this project.  As this will be
somewhat time-consuming, we encourage any interested potential mentors
to contact Flavio and get on board with the MouseTrap project.  Having
multiple mentors is a good thing.

For the second project, I have been assigned the duty of looking through
our wishlist for ideal projects.  We'll whittle it down over the next
two weeks and come back to a team decision on January 27th.  My task
involves looking at projects that can be reasonably accomplished or get
major headway over a 3-month summer period and ensuring that there are
enough potential mentors to sustain the second project.

In the coming days, I will begin a new thread to discuss the second
project on the mailing list so that we all can provide constructive
feedback before we make a final decision.  Continuing discussion will
also occur at our next meeting.  (See next thread "Time-Shift Meeting
Proposal")

As you also know, we have recently begun discussions for formulating a
GNOME-A11y University Mentorship program in which we reach out to
professors and students across the globe in an effort to bring more
student interest in a11y development.  The lessons we learn from our
HFOSS involvement will be valuable as we work towards the development of
the larger project.
--
Bryen Yunashko
openSUSE Board Member