Re: HFOSS: VizAudio & DOTS

On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 14:09 -0500, Willie Walker wrote:
> Hi Bryen:
>
> Before throwing in the towel for the VizAudio solution, I think we
> should still give the interns a choice, but clearly mark the VizAudio
> one as one that will have no technical mentorship and that those
> involved (e.g., the libnotify folks) tend to be very unresponsive to
> questions.  But, in the unlikely event that the intern happens to be
> very interested and already has a background, then there might be a match.
>
> BTW, PulseAudio is still somewhat of a space of serious issue and
> contention.  Right now, I'd hesitate to accept any solution that depends
> on it.
>
> So, I still propose:
>
> * Flavio writes up the MouseTrap description
> * Bryen writes up the VizAudio description
> * Eitan writes up the Dots description
>
> All these need to be clear in the following:
>
> * A clear problem statement
> * A set of deliverables and a measurement for success
> * A list of the mentors and other resources
>
> In addition, we need strong buy-in from the mentors to see the project
> through and want to help the intern succeed.  Having someone sign up as
> a mentor and then leave midstream really blows chunks for everyone and
> we need to avoid that.
>
> Can you guys all do this?
>
> Will

I'll use the original visual audio email sent out before as the basis of
it.  I guess by getting this in the door now gives us a chance to
develop the concept even more by May.

WRT to the mention of PulseAudio, that's perhaps my biggest reservation
as well compared to other solutions.  I merely outlined the different
possible approaches and want to hear more from others about even more
possibilities.