Re: Questions about gnome-mag + orca

Hi Kristian:

Nice to hear from you! The "GNOME Outreach Program: Accessibility" task for magnification is described here:

http://www.gnome.org/projects/outreach/a11y/tasks/magnification/

I'm unsure of what the plans forward for gnome-mag is. It has been my
understanding that it is mostly in maintenance mode?

Right now, that's the case.

Orca:
 - Collects data on what's going on. Mouse movement. Window focus.
Cursor movement, etc.
 - Controls Gnome-mag (soon to be over DBus?)

Yes. Ideally, the mouse tracking behavior would be supported directly by the magnifier so we don't have to have mouse events streaming all over the place.

Gnome-mag:
- Just does magnification.

It does more, such as various forms of color filtering. Thanks to work from Rich and Joanie for GNOME 2.22, Orca has a lot more support for various useful gnome-mag features. The Orca WIKI has a write up of the various features available today:

  http://live.gnome.org/Orca/ConfigurationGui

That leaves us with a gnome-mag which, in it's current state, would be
by and large useless due to performance issues.

Based upon our experiences with real end users at CSUN, it's actually quite a usable solution. Some users commented that it's even better than some of the more popular Windows solutions. The "who is going to be the COMPOSITE manager?" and "can we get rid of the Bonobo/CORBA dependency?" questions are really the driving factors for making us reconsider the current solution. In addition, thinking about magnification as more of a system service and a cross-desktop solution (e.g., GNOME and KDE) is important.

At the same time, we want to consider other important things, such as the ability to highlight areas of the screen and/or do other important transforms to benefit a larger population of users (e.g., users with learning disabilities).

So....take a look at the two URLs above. If you're interested, please submit a proposal for the GNOME Outreach task. My guess is that you're probably one of the better people in the world to do it. :-)

Will