Re: Thoughts on speech

Hi Kenny,

I've since installed a Debian lenny distro (as you know from IRC) and upgraded it to sid. This is on a "real" machine, not a VM. Here are my observations/comments:

Kenny Hitt wrote:
First, I could not get the demon to start after I had installed SD. I
actually had to reboot the system.
Never seen that issue, but I run all Debian boxes now days.  My recent tests with Ubuntu Hardy did have problems, but they could
be fixed by removing a file specific to the Ubuntu speech-dispatcher package.

I still had to reboot my Debian distro after installing Speech-Dispatcher. Even though spd-say was available and appeared to work, no speech came out until I actually rebooted.

Second, after reboot was finished, Gnome-Speech, which was still
configured as Orca's main speech server, was completely gone. There was
no speech, and since I didn't have a braille display, I was left
completely in the dark. I had to "blindly" start gnome-terminal, delete
my .orca settings folder, and shutdown and re-run Orca from the command
line to choose SD from the text-based initial setup
That was because Ubuntu uses portaudio 18 for espeak.  This means espeak uses OSS for output instead of ALSA.  That issue doesn't happen
on Debian because it uses portaudio 19 for espeak.  It will happen with any other gnome-speech synths since all the other ones use OSS.

Right, this problem no longer existed on Debian.

Third, after I had it up and running, I found that often, two chunks of
stuff to be spoken would overlap, especially when Orca was speaking
something and I was using the keyboard to either type in something or
navigate. For example: I was going through the Orca Preferences dialog.
I had Key Echo set to Characters, and everytime I hit TAB to go to the
next control, it would take over half a second before Orca stopped
speaking the previous control that I was not interested in. Within that
half second, on a second audio channel, it would speak the fact that I
had pressed TAB. So I had both an overlap in speech output coming from
the SAME product, and a delay in the speech synth shutting up speaking
the control I was not interested in. To me, this is unnerving, if not
even unacceptable behaviour. If I press something like the TAB or an
arrow key, I want the speech engine to shut up immediately and speak the
new chunk of information relevant to me, and not think about whether it
should stop speaking and pick up the new chunk at its own leisure
The overlap is a side effect of dmix.  I notice it, but it isn't as long here as what you experience.

This is also much much better on the "real" box. Makes me believe that the TCP/IP traffic going back and forth between Orca and SD may have been influenced by the fact that this was running inside a VM, where the network adapters are all emulated and managed by the host operating system/virtualization software.

I agree there are still issues to be resolved with speech-dispatcher, but the added features of speech-dispatcher over gnome-speech will eventually make
Orca better once it switches to speech-dispatcher and the problems are fixed.

I agree with this. But again, now that I am actually running it on a real box, SD leaves a much better impression with me than initially.

Marco