Re: ASUS Eee PC

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 09:36:08AM +0200, Willem van der Walt wrote:
> Although I do not yet have my hands on an Eee_pc, I would say the best
> would be to replace the Zandros system with Ubuntu or one of the other
> Linuxes where we know the a11y setups.

There is a Debian project specifically for the EEEPC.
> If it was me, I would also install a console-only screen reader as I think
> that the hardware is a little light for running gnome with Orca on a
> full-time basis.

I agree.
> There is a model of the Eee_pc with 2 gb of ram which might work better
> with orca.

Indeed so, but the 900mhz CPU could be a problem. It has USB ports, and thus
would work well with a braille display. It is also very small and
light-weight.

On the other hand, the size of the keyboard may make it uncomfortable for
extended typing. My first impressions were that the keyboard wasn't
particularly difficult to type on, but as this was at a conference and the
particular EEE-PC in question had no access software installed, I didn't have
a chance to try it for long.