Re: ASUS Eee PC

Kris Van Hees <aedil-gap alchar org> writes:

> Has anyone here looked at the ASUS Eee PC in terms of accessibility and
> whether it is feasible to e.g. install Orca on it (along with all dependencies)
> to provide access to a blind user?

I am using a EEE PC with Orca, brltty and the usual Linux accessibility stack.
It works great.  However, I had to replace the
original Xandros-based Linux desktop with a Debian since the
Xandros version preinstalled by ASUS misses a lot of the packages that are
required for GNOME Accessibility.

> It seems like the small footprint of the machine could make it quite
> handy, especially in comparison to e.g. the more classic (and
> expensive) notetakers.

I am using subnotebooks since many years exactly for this reason.
If you are already carrying a braille display, adding a normal-sized
laptop to the package is just too much to still be useful in
a mobile context IMO.  Previously, I used (and still use) a JVC MP-XP7250.
In the past it was quite hard to get hold of a nice small subnotebook in
the european area, but the EEE PC boom seems to have changed that.

Incidentally, I am also fond of small keyboards (dont ask me why, I
just like them).  And since the only other "drawback" that people
seem to mention is the small display size, which doesnt matter
to me, I think something like the EEE PC is truly great for blind users.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>