Re: Mouse scroll wheel/button and hand dexterity

Rick Berger writes:

> On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 12:09 +0100, Steve Lee wrote:
> > 2008/7/28 Rick Berger <rberger rogers com>:
> > > Are there any utilities out there that let you control whether the
> > > scroll wheel is going just act as a scroll wheel or just as a middle
> > > mouse button? My dexterity is such that there are times I'm scroll
> > > through a page in Firefox and find I'm way off in web space somewhere
> > > else because I've accidental click the wheel.  Or likewise in most
> > > application I can't click on something because I can't hold the scroll
> > > wheel still and click it at the same time. A utility that lets you
> > > toggle from the keyboard the meaning of the scroll wheel would great.
> >
> > hmm, the general mouse settings do indeed seem to be missing any
> > options for middle wheel and button.
> >
> > I also seem to be a heavy scroller as  i often get an 'invalid URL'
> > error when I'm scrolling with the wheel in FF.
> > So I just looked in Firefox's about:config and setting
> > middlemouse.contentLoadURL to false does the trick for me. There's
> > also a middlemouse.openNewWindow but I'm not sure when that comes into
> > effect.
> >

> I couldn't get back to this yesterday, but I would like to know if I'm
> seeing a lack of a good tool/utility set for people with hand dexterity
> issues? This scroll wheel problem is just one of many that users like me
> face. Re-mapping the keyboard and mouse, keyboard/mouse audio feedback
> control, keyboarding and mousing user performance tacking and analysis
> for usability tuning, a general purpose typing accelerator/word
> predictor, are just a few utilities beyond the current keyboard
> accessibility features that need to be included into a common utility
> set for the user. Some of these are somewhat available in different
> parts of the system but it's a real job for a user to find them and work
> with them, as well as learning to get an handle on ones own needs.

We probably need to do better integrating the various customizations
available. We also need to expand our existing specs where functionality
is missing.

The Open A11y group has finished a Keyboard I/O spec which goes only so
far as what is in Xkb. Perhaps this is one use case for a future rev of
the spec.

Janina