Re: [Usability] Mousetweaks usability discussion
- From: Jens Granseuer <jensgr gmx net>
- To: Denis Washington <dwashington gmx net>
- Cc: Willie Walker <William Walker Sun COM>, gnome-accessibility-devel gnome org, Gerd Kohlberger <lowfi chello at>, usability gnome org, Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org>, Francesco, gnomecc-list gnome org, gnome-accessibility-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: [Usability] Mousetweaks usability discussion
- Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 18:24:29 +0100
On 31.10.2007 14:54, Denis Washington wrote:
I have made a mockup that integrates Mousetweaks settings into the mouse
I hope I haven't forgotten everything. Comments?
You forgot to tell that you've made a mockup for keyboard, too:
And I think I'm in love. ;-)
Seriously, I really like these mockups, and apart from a few minor
easily fixable nitpicks, I think there is only one bigger issue
(that Denis already mentioned): the Notifications window.
But let's do it in order (CC'ing the MouseTweaks guys, too):
* Does it make sense to have a "Mouse" tab in the "Mouse
capplet? I'd hope all the tabs in their are about the mouse.
Maybe "General" would be better here (same for Keyboard).
* "Maybe we can remove the "enable mouse a11y" checkbox and
implicitly activate the mousetweaks daemon if one of the a11y
features is actually turned on?"
I hope we can get the MouseTweaks daemon merged with g-s-d.
That would automatically make this box unnecessary. If that
doesn't happen, I'd agree that activating it implicitly is
the way to go (just like it's currently done with typing
* "Simulated Right Click"
Does this and the related labels change when I have a
left-handed setup? We'd either need to do that (though I
don't know if it's even possible without having the window
change size) or use something like the current MouseTweaks
UI seems to do: "primary" and "secondary button". Not that
great, either, but better than wrong, I guess.
* "Cursor blinks in text boxes and fields"
Do people know what the difference is between a box and a field? I
know I always confuse the two. Does it matter? Can't we just shorten
it to "Cursor blinks in text fields"?
* The buttons without icons look odd, and different from the ones
with icons. We should try to fix that.
* "Allow turning accessibility features on/off from the keyboard"
"... on or off... "?
* "simultanous" is missing an "e"
* The "Notifications" window is bad (and contains a few typos),
but I don't currently have an idea how to fix it, short of moving
some of the options over to the "Mouse Keys" tab. That would
require that we come up with a useful way to group them, plus we
should be careful that features on one tab not affect features on
another (turning on/off via the keyboard). To me, this is the one
big issue that needs to be solved to make this one a winner.
* not sure I like the link to the mouse capplet
* "Mouse Keys" tab has a "Mouse Keys" header, "Typing Break"
(correctly, IMO) does not
Overall, great work. Thanks for persisting. ;-)
] [Thread Prev