what is AT-SPI ?

Hi All,

What iam trying to do is to make my custom widgets(gtk) accessible.
So it is all about creating Accessible Objects and Accessible interfaces for the custom widget.

I read some where that after doing all these things, I have to export all these to AT-SPI layer. What is this AT-SPI layer?
Is it really needed to my system (Mine is an embedded system).

Is AT-SPI a protocol ? or Daemon ? .. Is it very essential ?
Can I do without this?
Will my custom widget be accessible without this layer? or Should I also install this in to my system?

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
R Gautam