Re: Multilingual synthesis

Maybe this is related, maybe not. There was a SoC project last year
"guessing language component" for OpenOffice. For example see
http://www.mail-archive.com/dev lingucomponent openoffice org/msg00958.html

There's also the universal encoding detector
(http://chardet.feedparser.org/) based on code in Mozilla. Reusing the
code makes sense where the license permits.

Right. The problem is, not a single free engine covers the different
languages I need. So I have to change voice and driver (festival and
espeak from speech-dispatcher). And don't you get sound device
blocking problems?

Understood. We don't support switching of the driver and voice yet
automatically, but it's not inconceivable.

If one driver shuts down completely before the next one is enabled,
there should be no blocking problem between the two. If you're talking
about blocking problems between the speech engine and other apps on
the desktop, yes, that problem arises for any engine that uses OSS
instead of ALSA.

Pete