Re: Multilingual synthesis

2007/2/20, Peter Parente <parente gmail com>:

Tomas wrote
> I believe that the solution to this would be to:
>  1. Use the language information wherever possible

Maybe this is related, maybe not. There was a SoC project last year
"guessing language component" for OpenOffice. For example see
http://www.mail-archive.com/dev lingucomponent openoffice org/msg00958.html

Maybe it can be reused.

>  2. Provide a mechanism to switch the language manually

the user may select up to three alternative languages based on
those supported by the current engine in the settings dialog.

Right. The problem is, not a single free engine covers the different
languages I need. So I have to change voice and driver (festival and
espeak from speech-dispatcher). And don't you get sound device
blocking problems?

the user may press a hotkey to
quickly cycle through his or her choices.

That sounds great, fro mthe point of view of an end user.

--
Juan Rafael Fernández
http://people.ofset.org/jrfernandez/