Problems with accessibility using gnome as built by gentoo

Hi.  I have a gentoo installation and I installed gnome with whatever
accessibility I could get by saying USE=accessibility .

Now I am having problems using orca with this install.  For one thing,
if I run test-speech I get multiple voices at the same time!  I have
festival started, I have the software Dectalk installed and espeak
1.20 installed.  My main problem is that orca does not say anything but
welcome to focus tracking mode -- and even not that all the time.  I
did an orca -t from a text console (using speakup and a hardware
synth), and it seemed to work, but no joy.  I am starting gnome using
startx or xinit.  It looks like I have gnome 2.16 from some of the
versions of the packages I have.

Any assistance would be appreciated as I have had no response from the
gentoo list at all.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici