Re: Forming an Accessibility Steering Committee

Hi Brian:

Would someone with an interest in a11y evangalization be willing to step
up to the plate and take ownership of this task of collecting
testimonials and getting them up on the Wiki?

As the committee is formed, this is definitely a task we can tap people to do. We can also probe the various user lists. I know we often get unsolicited pleasant feedback on the Orca list.

We also have great contacts in places such as Spain where Orca and GNOME accessibility are helping with making important decisions.

We also need to coordinate efforts across GNOME. For example: what's going on with metacity's composite manger and gnome-mag? What new widgets are in GTK+ and do they need GAIL support? Is this new application "X" accessible?

Yes, it would be nice to have a matrix on the GAP Wiki which shows
which applications have been tested, and which ones have problems.

There's definitely various aspects of coverage that need to be done, and I suspect the dimensions of this matrix might go beyond 2. It is also something we can work on once the committee is formed. Brian, do you have a list of all the end user apps that are part of GNOME? That would be a good start. We also must include other non-GNOME apps of great relevance, such as Firefox, Thunderbird, OOo, Compiz, etc.

Yes, prioritizing a11y bugs is a huge job.  It would be great if we
could get some volunteers to help make sure that bugs have proper
keywords and are appropriately prioritized and highlighted.  Perhaps we
need a place on the Wiki where the most shameful bugs are listed in the
hopes that this will help encourage their resolution.

We've done the 'shame' thing with GNOME bugs affecting Orca and had limited success. People just respond better to compliments, recognition, and thank yous than shame. IMO, the best way to get languishing bugs addressed is to pleasantly, but aggressively, pursue them and let the people know the impact the bug has on the usability of their product. This is something that someone with good program management skills could do well in.

We also need a nice logo.  :-)

Willie, would you be willing to create a Wiki page on the GAP website
where we can start collecting our ideas, and then we can use the Wiki
for reference in addition to our email discussion?

By all means.  I'll try to work something up soon.

You bet, as long as my boss agrees.  :-)

You should find out.  You should be able to point him to this email
discussion to demonstrate the community interest.  I think with your
leadership experience in GNOME a11y, you would be especially valuable
to have engaged in this sort of project.

My boss is a great guy and I also value Sun's commitment to accessibility. I've actually felt guilty going to Xmas parties this year telling people how much I like my job. I think the only resistance I would receive is a question of the opportunity cost with respect to Orca. Time spent on this means time spent away from Orca. But, Orca is maturing and there's a great community of users and developers behind it. In addition, work on this would still have a very positive impact on Orca and GNOME a11y across the board.

Will