Re: Disable Accessibility in a GTK component

Hi Elcio,

What I am trying to do is studing the possibility of using the Read Screen Technology like ORCA to make possible to visual deficient people uses a program and people who don't have deficiency can use it to, but without consuming CPU. I work to Bank of Brasil We are between using ORCA or contruct a class to use directly some TTS like ESpeak or IBM TTS technology.

Since this is focused on blind users and Orca, this is probably a better discussion to have on the orca mailing list, which I've cc-ed. You've raised a general question - is it better to have a self-voicing application that has complete control of the audio output, vs. a general purpose app that works with assistive technologies. I think the blind users on the orca mailing list can better answer that philosophical question than I can. But... let me point out that the self-voicing approach makes the most sense when you know that the only disability you care about is blindness with speech output. If the user needs Braille, it is critical that you support assistive technologies generally. If the user needs magnification, likewise. If the user has a severe physical impairment, you need to support an on-screen keyboard like GOK. For these reasons, my preference is always to make general purpose applications support the accessibility framework, to test with AT, and to otherwise leave the user experience decisions to the AT.

Some of the problems we are going to have using ORCA is that I don't know if is it possible to change some voice parameters like female voice or mainly entonation in execution time. Is it possible ? How ? We need total control of the accessibility.

If you want custom behavior in Orca with your application, you can achieve this by writing an Orca script for your application. There are many example scripts for applications like Firefox and OpenOffice.org (just to name two). There is also material on how to write scripts off of the Orca website, http://live.gnome.org/Orca I believe virtually all of the Orca script writers subscribe to the Orca users list that I've cc-ed. They will be your best resource for answering questions.

Also, I'm curious - why do you feel you need total control of the blind user experience (vs. giving users flexibility in how they want to configure their experience)?

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect,
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

Regards, Elcio

*Peter Korn <Peter Korn Sun COM>*
Enviado Por: Peter Korn Sun COM

23/08/2007 22:33 MST

Para: elciof bb com br cc: gnome-accessibility-list gnome org, F2794038_Elcio_Friedrich/BANCO_DO_BRASIL BANCOBRASIL COM BR
        Assunto:        Re: Disable Accessibility in a GTK component

Hi Elcio,

Have a look at the at-poke application, which intentionally disables
accessibility on itself to avoid recursion by trying to explore itself.

Why are you wanting to turn accessibility support on/off?

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect,
Sun Microsystems, Inc.